Monday, February 14, 2011

LAKE ALMANOR, CALIFORNIA

LAKE ALMANOR, CA WITH MOUNT LASSEN IN THE BACKGROUND

SLALOM SKIING ON THE LAKE - SUMMER '05
Emerson, Lake & Palmer: Beyond the Beginning

I have been going to Lake Almanor, California every summer since I could walk and have loved every minute of it. My grandparents (Glenn & Monte - picture below) built a  house there after they retired in the late 80's which gave my sister, my Dad and I a place to spend the month of July. From '88 to 2006 I only missed one or two summers on the lake but I sure made up for them during the other 16!!  It was a great location to spend quality time with my family and to get into some serious recreational activities. My Dad had me on water-skis since I was eight years old and made it mandatory that my sister and I get up at O'Dark-30 to "get some good turns in while the water is smooth and the wake-borders aren't screwing everything up." Either way my sister and I became pretty damn good and really enjoyed slalom skiing (even if we had to wake up early during our summer break). The Lake Almanor Country Club is also where I learned how to play golf, my all-time favorite pastime, and realized that I would be dedicating my life to be above average at the game (it looks like it will, in fact, take a lifetime). Other summer activities at the lake included fishing, jet skiing, hiking Mount Lassen (an extinct volcano - picture above), craw-daddy (crawfish) hunting, barbeques, whiffle ball - home run derby, legal /
illegal fire works and getting a phenomenal sun tan.



 
 


 






1 comment: